Office of Travel Services

Employee Business Travel (EBTA) Procedures

Mississippi State University
Travel Services
Employee Business Travel Account (EBTA)
Procedures: MSU Requesting Department

To outline the procedures to be followed by the traveler/travel coordinator when requesting that public carrier transportation be charged to the University's Corporate Employee Business Travel Account.
When planning a business trip through the University contract travel agency, the employee has the option of purchasing public carrier transportation with personal funds or by charging the transportation cost to the University's EBTA "ghost" account.
If the traveler requests that the public carrier transportation transaction be charged to the EBTA account, the following procedures must be followed:

  1. Complete a MSU Form A-03/A-04 Travel Authorization and Reimbursement Form and obtain the proper approvals for travel.
  2. The traveler/travel coordinator contacts the contracted travel agency - Travel Leaders, Inc., during normal business hours to arrange public carrier transportation. The ticketing agent should be informed that "this will be an EBTA purchase" and asked for a quote to be faxed to the department.
  3. Contact Travel Services during normal business hours for EBTA Authorization Number. Be prepared to provide the following information:
    1. TR# (Travel Authorization document number)
    2. Traveler's Name
    3. Traveler's MSU id number
    4. Month of Travel
    5. Name of contact person, phone # and amount of quote from Travel Leaders
  4. The EBTA Authorization number should be noted on the original MSU Form A-03/A-04 for processing.
  5. The traveler/travel coordinator should fax to the Travel Services
    1. Form A-03/A-04 with the five-digit EBTA number noted on the face of the form
    2. The quote that was provided by Travel Leaders
  6. The traveler/travel coordinator should fax to the contracted travel agency - Travel Leaders
    1. Form A-03/A-04 with the five-digit EBTA number noted on the face of the form
  7. The amount of the ticket will be charged to the traveler's receivable account (similar to a cash advance) and considered in the calculation of all advances received for any particular trip.
  8. Once the trip has been completed, the public carrier cost should be claimed as an expense on MSU Form A-03/A-05 in section D, line 4. The traveler will submit the itinerary attached with other receipts as required documentation of expenses. This is in accordance with MSU Travel Policy and Procedures.
    Travel by public carrier.

Contracted Travel Agency:
Travel Leaders, Inc.
Starkville Office:
Phone/Fax: 662-323-5007
Travel Services:

Phone: 662-325-8817 (Main Line)
Fax: 662-325-0840

Contact Information

640 McArthur Hall
Mississippi State University
Mississippi State, MS 39762

Office Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday

Phone: 662-325-8817
Fax: 662-325-0840